Coaching, today is considered a key to unlock potential, confidence, skills, personality traits which people thought was beyond them.
Coaching was initially recognized pivotal in sports but around the 70’s and the 80’s, the scope of coaching was realized in the corporate world by the leading corporates and today coaching is one of the most sought after profession.
As per the University of British Columbia, coaching helps in development, learning, and yielding results.
Not only employees at the starting ranks, but everyone including the top bosses of the organization is going through coaching lessons to become better at what they do through the help of business coaches or life coaches or some even have personal coaches.
Here is a look at a General Coaching Process, tweaked and customized by companies to suit their requirements.
When done appropriately and timely, coaching can help the employees and/or the organizations to focus on the things that are acting as blockers in their careers or goal achievements, and help them move beyond such hurdles with well-crafted plans for performance, growth, skill building or personality development.
As rightly said by Sir John Whitmore, considered a godfather of coaching,
“Coaching is unlocking a person’s potential to maximize their growth”
A Coaching Session usually is –
- One-to-One – It usually involves a coach and a coachee
- Personalized – One solution fits all is NOT what works here. It is about understanding the individual and working with him/her to bring about the desired outcomes
- On-going – It is a regular feature for a leader to conduct coaching sessions for his team
- Planned – The sessions happen in accordance with the availability of both the coach & a coachee
- Goal Oriented – Coaching cannot be random, it is either for a behavioral or performance or developmental with agreed measurable results or changes
- Enabling – It is about giving the control in the hands of a coachee, make them more self-reliant, more like a permission to fail and fall in the process of growth
- Adjustable – Coaching is not set to one specific task only, it focuses on the changing needs of a coachee
- Evaluated and Recorded – The discussion and the progress is documented and analyzed with time by the coach and/or a coachee
- Time-based – There is a dedicated duration for every coaching session and the associated results.
- Followed-upon – The coaching process is not over until there have been a constant check and touch base for reviewing performance and discussing challenges. A follow-up is a must to make sure that the person is heading in the direction agreed upon
Importance of Coaching – A few pointers here,
For Organizations –
- Managing continuous change – 37% agreed
- Retaining Talent – Making them feel valued
- Builds collaborative approach – 40% companies felt so
- Builds personal ability to match performance demands – 50% agreed
- Empowering breakthrough results
- Eventually Saving Cost of training and hiring
For Employees –
- Better Engagement
- Work with purpose – 37% found ‘coaching helped change the way employees approached work situations
- Reduced job changes
- High motivation levels – 43% felt that ‘coaching helped them apply some clarity to their work life and helped with their motivation’
- Mutual growth opportunity – 40% saw ‘coaching helped employees grow into a new role.
- Channelized energy
- Plan your future
- Improve or Polish Skills – 50% of the people felt that ‘coaching helped them acquire a new skill or improve on an existing one’.
Coaching and mentoring today has acquired larger visibility and significance in the businesses and their growth be it manufacturing or a customer services operations, be it transportation sector or the IT firms is widespread.
Some of the Top Fortune Companies like GE and Adobe use coaching employee as a part of the performance management, while others like Google, look at it as an independent activity for all who need an extra something at work such as guidance, opinion, experience sharing and way forwards.
With much emphasis on coaching, you see career options in Life Coach, Business Coach, Professional Coach and several such professions opening up and growing strong.
Coaching for me bridges the gap between
indecision or Self-doubt and confidence building or exploring talent
While coaching has become a part of the organizations across the industries, one important aspect of coaching is the Coach. Next in the category of coaching is the role of a Leader as a Coach.
What does coaching means to you?